Monday, January 29, 2007

And three makes a family!

Soooo, how a perfect little angel graced our family.....

I started having contractions at 7am, oh, on Sunday morning. This is not counting the contractions I had saturday night from 6pm to 5am. So the Sunday 'wuss' contractions kept going and going every ten minutes or so during the day, through walking the mall and watching TV. During Happy Gilmore I was bouncing on the birth ball, walking the stairs, and eating like, fifteen mozzerella cheese sticks. The next hour, during Battlestar Galactica, the contractions got really bad and I cried like crazy over Lee and Dee's marital problems. Then Shawn said, "We should either go to bed and sleep or go to the hospital." so I promptly produced a bunch of barf and bloody show (TMI, hee hee) and decided we were going to the hospital. So much for the cheesesticks!

We take a twenty minute bumpy ride to the hospital, bumps negated by lamaze breathing techniques, thank you very much! Lauren, our doula met us at the ER. Walked up to the baby floor and found out I hadn't dialated anything since my check-up last week. Two lousy centimeters! Stink! So I was sent home with Perkaset and Ambien to sleep through the night. My stomach and uterus now felt like a big bruise from contracting for twenty four hours. Lauren came home with us, and a good thing too! The sleeping pill and the narcotic served to loosen up my cervix to four centimeters in one hour. Whammo! Did that hurt.

So back again to the hospital at four thirty in the morning on a bumpy road, and no lamaze breathing techniques were really helping this ride! We popped back into the old room from eleven pm. and called an anesthesiologist PRONTO. He was actually at the hospital and came in within about ten minutes. Meanwhile, Shawn was doing an awesome job keeping me sane by counting to four within two inches of my face. He said later that I was exhaling so hard I was drying out his eyeballs... and my breath wasn't so nice. But that's what love is all about!

So I recieved the epidural during contracting, which was kind of nice because I didn't notice this huge needle gong into my spine. I was too busy blowing on my husband's eyeballs.

So within an hour I was seven centimeters and within two I was fully dialated. Alisha had arrived for photographing the birth. Dr. Voegtle came to break my water and got the junk all over her street pants. Woops! While she went to change into scrubs, Sydney crowned and within ten minutes popped out. Whoopee!

1 comment:

amy said...

HOLY CANOLY! i can't believe how fast you progressed! that is phenomenal! i was worried about you being too tired to push after being up all night, but it sounds like you got her out pretty easily! dang... must be nice to have a 6lbs 9oz baby!!! :0)